VIKPA Association Bursary
Purpose of Bursary
To assist a Vancouver Island kidney patient who is a VIKPA member in good standing, their spouse, or their child or grandchild, to attend an accredited post-secondary institution in Canada in order to improve their employment skills or qualifications.
In order to qualify to receive a bursary certain criteria must be met:
1. The applicant must be a kidney patient who is a VIKPA member in good standing, their spouse, or their child or grandchild. If Kidney patient has deceased within one year of application, then application of their spouse, child or grandchild may be considered. If applicant is accepted, then recipient will be able to reapply each year until completion of original program as long as no breaks in education.
2. The patient and the applicant (if other than the patient) must both be permanent residents of Vancouver Island.
3. The applicant must be registered at an accredited (public or private) post-secondary institution in Canada. Private institutions must be accredited with the Private Career Training Institutions Agency. To check if an institution is accredited go to the PCTIA website.
If registered in Canada outside of British Columbia, applicant must provide proof of accreditation with application.
4. Applicants who have previously received a Gordon Duthie Bursary must provide either a transcript of marks or a certificate of completion for courses or programs taken for the most recent year in which a bursary was awarded.
5. Both the applicant and the patient (if different) must sign the application form unless kidney patient is deceased.
Completed applications along with all supporting documents must be received by VIKPA on or before June 30. LATE OR INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
Amount of Bursary
New guidelines adopted in 2014 set a maximum bursary award of $1500 per person per year and a total maximum of $10,500 per year.
How to Apply
Additional information and application forms are available below. They are also available at the various renal units on the Island, through the renal social workers, or directly from VIKPA
If you have any questions please contact VIKPA at (250) 595-3650 and ask to speak with a member of the bursary committee, or email us here
Below is the link to download the Bursary Application Form .
Files is in PDF format. Print the Form, Fill out and mail back to VIKPA.
Link opens in a new Browser Window.
Returning Bursary Applications
Return completed applications to: